KMA Off Road Forums  

Go Back   KMA Off Road Forums > Open Discussion > What did you do to your Jeep today?

What did you do to your Jeep today? Lets have it, you now have a place to brag about your heep :)

Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM
KMA Krew
Rock Rider

JK TANK is a splendid one to beholdJK TANK is a splendid one to beholdJK TANK is a splendid one to beholdJK TANK is a splendid one to beholdJK TANK is a splendid one to beholdJK TANK is a splendid one to behold

hope you were in your driveway.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM
KMA Krew Old Skool Member
Rock God

Gunner is a glorious beacon of lightGunner is a glorious beacon of lightGunner is a glorious beacon of lightGunner is a glorious beacon of lightGunner is a glorious beacon of lightGunner is a glorious beacon of light

I upgraded my headlights and fogs to LED's from Quadratec. It's like night and day difference. Yes I am aware of the night and day reference. They were the cheapest I could find compared to JW's and TL's. Very happy with them.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:17 PM
tag along for now m3mber
Rock God

necromancer_tat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I upgraded my headlights and fogs to LED's from Quadratec. It's like night and day difference. Yes I am aware of the night and day reference. They were the cheapest I could find compared to JW's and TL's. Very happy with them.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Web Krawler
Trail Runner

VaRipTide is on a distinguished road

Barnes4wd stubby with custom grill hoop and stinger done by grouchytim. I'll get a better picture outside tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Cut, Bend, Weld, Repeat!
Rock God

AlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud of

Ding ding... Thats what I figured it was.. Jeep Whisperer, dats my name.

Also, replace those top lock Type "C" nuts with regular nuts and lock washers. Those bolts aren't meant to see torsion like that. You're lucky that you broke it removing it and not stretched it enough that it broke during use on the trail or something.

Tech lesson of the day.
Metal lock nuts require a fairly high amount of torque to install them and regular nuts do not. The torque to tighten a lock nut twists a bolt but the torque to tighten a regular nut is stretching the bolt and thats why it stays tight. The use of a lock washer adds additional spring tension in a connection so that if the stretched bolt relaxes the nuts atleast stay tight. The lock nut does not offer this. Additionally, the lock washer acts as a thrust bearing between the surface of the nut and the clamped surface to allow additional torque before surface galling.

Metal type lock nuts should only be used when they are a grade 5 or Grade type F and on Grade 8 bolts for a vibration loaded connection where the bolts do not need to maintain tension.

'97 TJ- Probably upside-down and on fire somewhere.

Engineering Judgement........ ...... Jury and Executioner.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM
President
Rock God

MrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Ding ding... Thats what I figured it was.. Jeep Whisperer, dats my name.

Also, replace those top lock Type "C" nuts with regular nuts and lock washers. Those bolts aren't meant to see torsion like that. You're lucky that you broke it removing it and not stretched it enough that it broke during use on the trail or something.

Tech lesson of the day.
Metal lock nuts require a fairly high amount of torque to install them and regular nuts do not. The torque to tighten a lock nut twists a bolt but the torque to tighten a regular nut is stretching the bolt and thats why it stays tight. The use of a lock washer adds additional spring tension in a connection so that if the stretched bolt relaxes the nuts atleast stay tight. The lock nut does not offer this. Additionally, the lock washer acts as a thrust bearing between the surface of the nut and the clamped surface to allow additional torque before surface galling.

Metal type lock nuts should only be used when they are a grade 5 or Grade type F and on Grade 8 bolts for a vibration loaded connection where the bolts do not need to maintain tension.
I use them on my steering heims bolts.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 AM
Cut, Bend, Weld, Repeat!
Rock God

AlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud ofAlxJ64 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
I use them on my steering heims bolts.
Exactly, load cycle connection that is not in tension, that bolt is in shear. If they are putting themselves in tension then you have them too tight and are at risk of crushing the heim ball.

'97 TJ- Probably upside-down and on fire somewhere.

Engineering Judgement........ ...... Jury and Executioner.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM
President
Rock God

MrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to beholdMrSandman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Exactly, load cycle connection that is not in tension, that bolt is in shear. If they are putting themselves in tension then you have them too tight and are at risk of crushing the heim ball.
I have one on my tracbar bolt on the opposite side of the heim. The ones on my steering are just grade 8 with red locktite.

Changed all 16 plugs in D1's Durango. Replaced my broken u bolt on my rear drive shaft. Now to do a brake job on a 95 Civic!
Old 08-16-2015, 01:32 PM
President
Rock God

Painted and installed rear bumper brackets from Barnes4wd.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Web Krawler
Trail Runner

VaRipTide is on a distinguished road

Replaced, my waterpump, thermostat, transmission mount and starter. Also flushed my heater core out since it was clogged. And lastly installed the poison spyder trailgate to replace my cracked and broken one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by VaRipTide; 09-01-2015 at 10:12 PM.